Blogger Widgets

Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Yeah, left lead! Good boy Kaspin!!!

I am not sure how much I talk about it on my blog? But Kaspin has not been able to get his left lead at a canter for the 2 years that I have had him now(Kaspin cow canters instead, on his left lead). At first I thought, it was all mental, but after 2 years something should start to come through but still nothing. I had vets look at him and he is fine:) No medical problems. Kaspin cow canters on the left so well, that it really amazes me! Since Kaspin is so fluent at it and makes it look natural! As you know, I am healing from my shoulder surgery. During this time, I have my Parelli Professional out every week, once a week playing with Kaspin for me. I mentioned this canter problem to Steve and told him to try to work on Kaspin's left lead when Steve could find time in the hour. Steve feels that kaspin is not bending in his ribs when he travels to his left. So Steve worked on lots of rib bending exercises, sideways, and also softening his neck. Kaspin can brace in the neck also when he wants to. In the first few lessons, Steve would get Kaspin to canter once and while correctly on his left lead. More than I ever got!!!! The last 2 times Steve was out he would ask Kaspin to pick up the left canter 3 separate times and every time Kaspin picked it up correctly! Steve would bring Kaspin into him immediately and reward with taking a break. A few times I played with Kaspin in the past few weeks and I would notice Kaspin on his own sometimes would offer a canter to the left and pick up the correct lead!! I would be amazed. So now Kaspin would do it about 50% of the time correct, and 50% of the time wrong even when I was asking for nothing. I was just moving Kaspin around the field for some exercise and I really didn't care what Kaspin did. I just watched and it was interesting to see Kaspin offer canter on his own and then correctly pick up the left lead correctly half of the time!  Last week when Steve was here, he asked Kaspin 4 different times to canter to the left. Also using the fence to help bend kaspin, and all 4 times Kaspin picked it up correctly!! Steve then moved onto another Parelli game. This past Sunday, I went out with Kaspin and asked him to go into a traveling circle. Kaspin left to his left and picked up a canter again on his own and AGAIN picked up the left lead correctly!!!! Kaspin cantered on his left lead for 5 minutes! Around and around he went. WOW, maybe Kaspin is finally figuring out it is much more comfortable to canter on the left correctly, yeahhh!! Next time, I will ask Steve to ride Kaspin for me too. Either way, I am soooo thrilled to know Kaspin might eventually have a correct left lead!! GO KASPIN!!! 

Steve and Kaspin playing together:)

Keep it fun, still healing J9, left lead Kaspin, and the late Enzo! 

11 comments:

  1. Yay Kaspin! Abercrombie decided that he didn't have a left lead for a while, too - apparently he was talking to Kaspin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was ready your blog too. But at least you didn't go for 2 years, LOL. Glad our kids are getting it!! I hope anyway for us:) Have fun!!

      Delete
  2. We just went to a Parelli clinic and he had some neat exercises to get the correct lead. I'm not sure I could explain it, but perhaps there are videos on YouTube?

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a Parelli geek! I own it all, LOL. I even went through 3 Parelli trainers for Kaspins canter help(they all have different ideas and did admit Kaspin was hard). The 2nd one Steve seems to have gotten it:) Steve is of course also helping me continue the techniques that have helped Kaspin. So I learn as well to continue to help Kaspin:) It mainly is making sure Kaspin is bent through his ribs also when asking for the canter. And keeping up with the sideways and bending exercises. The better a horse can go sideways the better they can get a lead. Thanks:)

      Delete
  3. Is cow cantering like counter cantering? Where he's moving to the left, but on the right lead? I'm glad he's finally figuring it out! I had a mare who only ever cantered on the right lead no matter what direction she was going. Sometimes when cantering long distances she would get tired and switch to her left lead so I know she could do it, she just didn't like to lol. So far Chrome seems to pick up the correct lead every single time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed he continues that under saddle. :D Keep up the great work with Kaspin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaspin is correct in the front, and wrong in the back when he goes to the left(right side is always correct). Looks really odd of course, LOL. Last night I played in the arena, because it was raining. Kaspin picked up the wrong lead every time last night to the left, aggghhh. Yes, Kaspin sounds like your past mare. Kaspin prefers to go on his right lead all the time and he is very comfortable at it:( If Chrome does this now, he should be fine!! Steve is coming Friday night so I will see what Steve gets again with the left lead. I am sure he will get it!! It's me that still needs help with Kaspin getting left lead, LOL. Have fun!

      Delete
    2. Oh the correct word, is cross canter on the left side:)

      Delete
    3. Yeah cross cantering or cross firing is what I've always heard it called! That's why I wanted to make sure which one you were referring to. :D My mare wouldn't cross canter she just counter cantered hehe. I'm glad Chrome seems naturally balanced in all of that. Hopefully he'll be easy to teach. :D Good luck getting Kaspin's left lead again! I'm sure Steve will be able to help you!

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I hope! It's sooo frustrating, LOL LOL.

      Delete
  4. If you are interested, I nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award :).
    http://fromthehorsesmouth.me/2013/05/31/liebster-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete

palidorj9@comcast.net