Blogger Widgets

Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Outside in the scary world....

me and my Enzo went! Yesterday in MI it was soooo beautiful!!!! 65, no wind, and finally the SUN!!! I drove to the barn after work as fast as I could. So I could spend time with Enzo in the SUN. I had decided we would venture out to the front arena outside! Since, we have spent all of our time indoors during winter. I know Enzo gets very nervous in the front arena. It's scary, neighbors next door, chickens next door, birds flying over head, and his horse friends are not with Enzo to hold his hoof!!! In the past, Enzo had gotten so scared in the front arena, that if I tried to teach my Parelli games to him. It was just too much for his mind to deal with the learning of the games and trying to deal with the scary outside! If I used too much energy, it would be just enough to have Enzo go over the edge, and at that point he would decide. It's way too scary out here, and now you are too scary as well! I am sooo leaving this situation and then Enzo would run away from me! So now that know this about Enzo. I reminded myself to stay very calm and never use too much energy, that will push Enzo away. It's amazing to see how much of a different horse I have, once I take him away from his familiar surroundings. Enzo is usually a LBI when he confident. But outside, or in unusual areas he gets RBI and gets very unconfined, jumpy, doesn't think, and scared! That's why even birds flying over his head can make him jump! I know he has seen those birds a billion times in his pasture. But his senses are heightened to every little movement when Enzo is scared with me. I started to play with the 7 games as if I had a horse that never has played the games before. I made sure my movements were very slow and I took the time Enzo needed to understand. I must have done a great job. Enzo did not try to run away once and I even saw him lick his lips once and while! I was very thrilled with that. If I can get Enzo to eventually understand that I will take great care of him and I am a good leader. Enzo then will be the LBI that he is when he is in the SAFE closed indoor arena. I just need to remind myself to take the time that Enzo needs!!!

Create Great moments!! Janine and Enzo

3 comments:

  1. Hoorah! It was a beautiful day yesterday :) We enjoyed it outside too roaming around the property.
    Enzo is getting braver everyday and I'm sure he'll respond faster outside now that he has such a strong foundation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awhh, thanks Kristen! I am glad you got to enjoy the day as well. I hope many more SUNNY days are on their way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Enzo! And for you for knowing what he needed and doing it. :) He'll be confident out there in no time. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

palidorj9@comcast.net