Blogger Widgets

Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

MI wind training with Enzo!

Wow, what crazy weather this whole world has been having lately!!! When is mother nature going to get back into sync again??? This weekend in MI it was extremely windy!!!! On Saturday it rained on and off all day with blasting winds from the north! I went and got Enzo and we headed for the indoor arena to play our Parelli games all on a 22 foot line. After a while of fun, I decided it was time to head into the scary outside world again and go play in the outside arena. At the time is was not raining, but I figured even if it did rain again? We wouldn't melt. Once outdoors in the outdoor arena. Enzo jumped around again and at few different things, but nothing too bad. I started to play some of our Parelli games. I just made sure again, that I kept MY energy low. Since, I already knew Enzo's energy was higher with the weather. On the circle game at a walk. Enzo would try to do a running trot, or a full try at a bolt on the 1 side of the circle. I noticed Enzo was doing it on the side of the neighbors, where it is much scarier! This is the neighbor with chickens running around, plastic flying in the wind, etc. So ever time Enzo tried to bolt on that side of the circle I would shut him down and start our game over again. This way, Enzo just couldn't get more speed and decide to take off fully. I did this about 5 times until Enzo could confidently walk around the circle without freaking out on the neighbors side. The first time that Enzo accomplished this, I asked for game over and had Enzo come into me and I gave him lots of friendly game and praise!!! I was just waiting for Enzo to be confident on that side of the circle. During all of this, it of course would rain, snow, and rain again! What a great way to play that day!!! After that, I finished with a few more things and we both walked calmly back to the barn. I also practiced with us both walking, halting, and then backing up to make sure Enzo was paying attention to me, as we headed back to the barn for the day.

On Sunday, the wind was even worse!!! It was 25 to 30 mile and hour winds!! With wind gusts up to 40 and 50 miles and hour!!!! It was nuts, I have to admit. I felt like cousin it for the day! Since, my hair is long and it was blowing everywhere! Yes, people would say tie it up. But it was sooo stormy and my hair is fine, and has layers, that it would have just blow apart even being tied up. Either way, I went and got Enzo and again we played in the indoor arena all on a 22 foot line. First to build our connection better. Today all the arena doors were banging in the wind, the cupolas were making noise, and big fan in the ceiling was spinning out of control. So needless to the say, the indoor arena was just as silly. Enzo spooked a few times and the gust of wind flying by the open arena door. Enzo also spooked at leaves flying by and into the arena, and even the barn owners dog came to say HELLO at the open door and that sent Enzo flying also! But we worked through it all and it was great experience for Enzo and I. After and hour or so, once I knew Enzo was much more connected with me again and more confident in the weather. I decided to head out in the stormy wind of MI! I started down the long drive way again going slow and practicing out walk, stop and back up. I knew in my mind that if Enzo had any trouble getting to the outdoor arena? I then would retreat and work with what both of us could handle. Since, the weather was so much stronger than Saturday. But Enzo did great and we made to the outdoor arena with no problem. Again, I worked on my 7 Parelli games slowly. I eventually got back to the circle game, like I had on Saturday. This time Enzo was only slightly worried on the neighbors side! Enzo slightly picked up a tiny trot, but it was easy for me to ask Enzo to go back to a walk again. Again, I waited for Enzo to calmly walk the whole circle and once that happened I would do game over and bring Enzo into me and phrase him lots! Enzo was able to stand next to me calmly and even yawn a few times. Which showed me Enzo was able to release his adrenaline. I was in the outside arena for at least an hour. Sometimes just hanging out. Horses want safety, comfort, and play! I was just getting Enzo to understand he can be just as safe with me as he is in his own pasture with his herd mates. It was a great feeling to see Enzo finally feeling more confident with me in scary situations. We have many years for our bond to get even stronger. But this is the first time I could really see Enzo feel it. We then started to head back to the barn and again I went calmly and slowly and Enzo was just as calm the whole way. Last year, Enzo had his head up and acted 18 hands high, if he saw any animal. Like a bird, or a squirrel move, Enzo would have lounged forward. So again, to see Enzo walking calmly back with me to the barn was so great feeling! I am sure Enzo felt the same way. Since, I know Enzo doesn't like the frazzled scarred feeling either!

Creat great moments~Janine and Enzo!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hoorah for working through this CRAPPY weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome!! You really took advantage of the weather. :)

    ReplyDelete

palidorj9@comcast.net