Blogger Widgets

Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Enzo my bleached out Friesian, booo hooooo

Yes, Enzo supposed to be a black Friesian, LOL. Just like the rest of the country. We too have had the horrible heat and more sun than ever in MI. They're claims that some frisians stay black all year and there are variations of many bay colors as most friesians do fade from sun exposure. I have read an article in Horsemans Journal that black horses usually are deficient in copper and zinc. Zinc and copper help grow a healthy and strong hair shaft that won't bleach out as easy when it is healthy. These are also responsible for healthy hooves as well. So I have added zinc and cooper to Enzo's diet. But I started off with a small amount and maybe too late this spring?? But either way, I thought I would try it. I just increased the dose yesterday and of course, I will wait to see in anything changes in Enzo's coat color this fall. I also added some oil, but the sun rays just seem to be stronger, LOL. Also some Friesian people leave their horses in during the sunny day to keep their horses from bleaching. But I could never do that to my horse, just to keep him black. These pictures were taken today to give you an idea of how bleached Enzo is as of Aug 2011. Anybody else have remedies to keep their horses dark???


















Keep it natural, Janine and Enzo!

7 comments:

  1. Suggestions I've heard are a fly sheet (I think specific ones have UV protection), some fly sprays have UV protection, feeding Paprika (not the hot kind and most people suggest 1 tsp daily) can keep them darker because it is a natural sunscreen . . . what else . . . I think that's all I know offhand. It's difficult and usually not worth the trouble lol. I think he's still gorgeous even if he's not black right now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grayson is horribly bleached too but it makes his fall/winter seem soooo rich and pretty when it comes in! I look forward to his dark charcoal coat. But like achieve1dream said, he's still gorgeous whatever color he is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, thanks guys!!! Thanks for the pointers and here is what I know also from trail and error. In the Horsemans Journal they also said, paprika was a myth and don't bother. BUT, I had tried it with my other past black horse year after year and it never worked either. I tried fly sheets too, but it was more trouble than it seemed worth and didn't make that much of a difference in hair color. Plus, I have to clean them, fix them, take them on and off, etc, etc. Plus, since Enzo is still growing I don't want to spend money on multiple sheets as he grows. I would like to try a kensington fly sheet eventually. That company claims it has MORE UV protection??? But again, I'll buy later when Enzo is older. I have done sun screens, but it seems you need to put it on a lot of times during a week. I forget to sometimes to do it and it can get costly as well. And I never saw a big difference worth spending the money. But I love hearing the ideas for sure!!!! You guys are awesome! I am just making sure I am not missing something else. But I guess, I'll just embrace the nice bay, LOL. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to know that about the paprika because I was tempted to try it. I'm glad I didn't waste my time or money lol. Thanks for letting me know.

    At least bleaching is just cosmetic. :) I would just not worry about it. Although I will say not worrying about bleaching is one reason I'm actually glad Chrome is going gray hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an exotic palomino Fresian you have :) He still looks beautiful bleached out or not!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got the same severe bleaching but it's not from sun. We've done every test known to Friesian and NO results. I'd love to know if you ever figure out something that makes them black again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got the same severe bleaching but it's not from sun. We've done every test known to Friesian and NO results. I'd love to know if you ever figure out something that makes them black again.

    ReplyDelete

palidorj9@comcast.net